Freewing Management is comprised of aerospace professionals with direct participation in the UAV industry dating back to 1989.
Both in its personnel directly, and through Freewing's teaming partners, the Company functions at the highest professional level. In airframe design and construction, in its avionics, autopilot and systems integration, and through its corporate team choices, Freewing is fielding the first production aircraft using the breakthrough "Tilt-Boom" technology the Spirit UAV.
Freewing Flight Technologies, Inc. was founded by Tom Sash, an inventor/ businessman with more than 30 years of aeronautical experience, including competition at aerobatic contests. Aerobatic airplanes are often flown straight up on a vertical line. It was while comparing the vertical flight efficiencies of aerobatic airplanes with those of helicopters that he started an in-depth study and journey which ultimately culminated with the invention of the Freewing Tilt-Boom Technology.
||The Freewing Team
Those on the Freewing team have a demonstrated record of achievement in the world of unmanned aerial vehicles. Design and engineering awards specific to UAVs and freewing technology won by Company management personnel include:
- The Frost & Sullivan 1998 Market Engineering Entrepreneurial Company Award
- The 1996 Award for Best Product from CEO Magazine
- The 1996 R&D 100 Award from Research & Development Magazine
- The 1995 Design & Engineering Award by the editors of Popular Mechanics magazine
- In June 1994 invention added to the US Small Business Administration's list of the top 87 innovations of the 20th century
- The 1994 Grand Prize for Excellence in Design by Design News magazine
- The 1993 Discover Award for Technological Innovation in the category of aviation and aerospace. Selected from among 4,000 entries, won over other finalists including NASA and McDonnell Douglas. Judges included astronauts Scott Carpenter, Buzz Aldrin and Wally Schirra.
- 1992 special award for Technological Innovation by the Experimental Aircraft Association